Rice with half the calories:
If you love rice but worry about your weight the good news is scientists have now discovered a way to reduce the caloric content of rice by over 50%, simply by the way it is cooked. According to recent scientific studies conducted in Sri Lanka if you want rice with HALF the calories try cooking it with coconut oil and refrigerating it overnight before eating.
- Scientists say cooking the rice this way can cut the calories by up to 60%
- The method increases the amount of resistant starch (RS) in the rice
- RS is indigestible to the human body and so is not turned into sugar or fat
The key to cooking the rice is to first add a teaspoon of coconut oil to boiling water, then adding a half cup (105g) of rice, and then either simmering it for 40 minutes, or boiling it for 20 to 25 minutes. Then, they put the rice in the fridge for 12 hours to cool.
There is a warning however when it comes to reheating rice…Doctors warn that the reheated rice can be the cause of food poisoning. This isn’t as much about reheating as it is about the storage of the rice prior to being reheated.
Follow these tips to help serve rice safely:
- Ideally serve the rice as soon as it has been cooked
- If the rice can’t be served quickly then cool the rice as fast as possible (ideally within one hour)
- Avoid keeping rice in the fridge for more than one day until reheating
- When reheating any rice, always check that the dish is steaming hot all the way through
- Do not reheat rice more than once
The information above and much more can be found at the Daily Mails website by clicking here